Woodgate Primary school is a reading school.
Reading is at the heart of everything we do.
Reading at a glance.
- English lessons start with a text.
- Guided Reading or Early Reading is taught across school using specially trained staff.
- Every class has its own reading space and timetabled time each day for reading.
- Staff display the title and author of the book they are currently reading to promote discussions.
- Every child takes home a phonetically decodable book and/or a choice book to read at home. Every time children read at home they earn a 'read' towards becoming a Reading Ambassador. Children receive a certificates and badges to wear as the progress through the stages.
- We have a well stocked and modern library.
- Phonics is taught daily and any children who need extra support have targeted interventions throughout the week.
- KS2 have dedicated Accelerate Reader time each week.
- We have 3 Book Sheds which have regular donations of books, children are able to browse these books with help from KS2 monitors.
- Books are precious to us. Children who impress their teacher can receive a VIPA award (Vey Impressive Pupil Award.) This earns them a golden token that can be used to select a book from our book vending machine.
Click on the links below to find out more!
Why reading is so important!
Click here to find out about reading fluency.
What OFSTED said about reading at Woodgate
'The teaching of reading is developing rapidly across the school. Teachers ensure that pupils have the opportunity to read a wide variety of texts across different subjects. Pupils have access to high-quality texts, which they find motivating and interesting. Across the school, staff promote pupils’ love of reading well. Reading areas in classrooms are bright' OFSTED 2019
We have 3 book Sheds across school. One in each playground. They are full of donated books. Monitors from Years 4,5,6 open them every break and lunch time. Children are free to browse the books and take one to read.