Woodgate Primary school is a reading school.
Reading is at the heart of everything we do.
- English lessons start with a text.
- Guided Reading is taught across school often using specially trained staff.
- Every class has its own reading space and timetabled time each day for reading.
- Staff display the title and author of the book they are currently reading to promote discussions.
- Every child takes home a phonetically decodable book and/or a choice book to read at home. Every time they read at home they earn a 'read' towards becoming a Reading Ambassador. Children receive a certificates and badges to wear as the progress through the stages.
- We have a well stocked and modern library.
- Phonics is taught daily and any children who need extra support have targeted interventions throughout the week.
- KS2 have dedicated Accelerate Reader time each week.
- We have a school book shed which has regular donations of books, children are able to browse these books and take any books they enjoy home for free.
Click on the links below to find out more!
What OFSTED said about reading at Woodgate
'The teaching of reading is developing rapidly across the school. Teachers ensure that pupils have the opportunity to read a wide variety of texts across different subjects. Pupils have access to high-quality texts, which they find motivating and interesting. Across the school, staff promote pupils’ love of reading well. Reading areas in classrooms are bright' OFSTED 2019