Building Learning Powers
at Woodgate Primary School
Building Learning Power (BLP) is an approach to learning that we have begun to implement at Woodgate Primary School. This approach was created by Professor Guy Claxton. It is based on the idea that we are all
capable of becoming better learners. BLP applies this idea directly to the work of teachers in the classrooms, to provide a practical framework for fostering lifelong learning in all young people.
At Woodgate, our school ethos is one of striving to be the best we can be, recognising that we all have different strengths and interests. BLP allows us to nurture this ethos and build the children’s learning power through a variety of strategies and techniques.
• It is a learning culture that encourages children and teachers to
become better learners
• It allows children to approach difficulties in learning without fear
• It allows the children to take small steps within learning
• It develops confidence
• It is not additional to teaching but should be grounded within
everyday teaching and learning
• It gives clear labels for the children to use to develop understanding
of learning processes